Search

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Random Acts of Kindness - Join the Kindness Revolution!!!


I have been thinking about this quite a lot in the past few days... on Sunday, my hubby and I did something nice for someone, I won't go into it and it doesn't really matter what but it was just nice.  It made us feel good but not because we thought "aren't we great" but the thought of the smile on someone's face when a stranger says that something nice has happened made us feel happy. 

Since then, I've been thinking more about the whole concept of a random act of kindness.  Wikipedia defines a Random Act of Kindess as "... a selfless act performed by a person or persons wishing to either assist or cheer up an individual or in some cases an animal. There will generally be no reason other than to make people smile, or be happier. Either spontaneous or planned in advance, random acts of kindness are encouraged by various communities. An oft-cited example of a random act of kindness is, when paying the toll at a toll booth on a highway, to pay the toll for the vehicle behind you as well."

In these days of rampant consumerism, and especially around Christmas time, we get so caught up in the whole "me, me, me" thing.  It can be depressing and can really drain you.  I felt really good on Sunday - just because we made someone smile.  That is a gift surely? A gift we can all give, every day.  It doesn't have to be monetary.. it could be picking up something someone else has dropped, or saying to someone that they look really well today, or holding the door open for someone.  It really just has to be a nice thing, a thing people would like - generally speaking, treating others as you'd like to be treated.

I don't normally make New Year's resolutions but I'm making one today - I would like to try and committ a Random Act of Kindness every day for a whole year.  That's 365 RAK's ... well probably about 375 or so if I start tomorrow! But still, imagine if we all did that ... imagine if every single one of us just did one nice thing for oner person every day for the next year. 


So, why not? Why not try it out? Would you like to join me? Leave a comment below and lets do it together! It'll be fun and it'll be easy and imagine how good people are going to feel afterwards? Even if it's something simple like when you're putting your groceries through the checkout, add in a bar of chocolate and then give it to the operator and say "that's for your break, I thought you might like it".  When you're paying for your coffee, pay for the guy's beside you too.  When you're taking a cab and it's raining, let the other person have the first one.  Hold the door open, say good morning and smile, say thank you to everyone who helps you out.... it doesn't have to be a lot... but it could mean so much.

So... do you take my challenge? Are you going to committ an RAK A DAY?!!! Leave a comment below - join the Kindness Revolution!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I try to carry out Random Acts of Kindness all the time so would love to at least try that for the New Year!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Geradline! It's great that you do that, I love that! I think if everyone tried it at least once a day, imagine what kind of world we'd live in then?!

    ReplyDelete

If you like Soaperstar's blog posts, please feel free to comment!! We'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...